Already a member? Sign in
Financial Planner & Client Service Associate
Job Announcement: Financial Planner & Client Service Associate
Newground Social Investment, a client-focused, impact-oriented money management firm, seeks a full-time Financial Planner and Client Service Associate for its Seattle team (part-time negotiable for the right candidate). This position offers opportunities for growth and career development within the Newground organization.
About Us: Newground, the nation’s first Social Purpose Corporation and second oldest investment advisor with an exclusive focus on SRI/ESG, was founded to serve clients who wish to create positive social and environmental outcomes without sacrifice to financial performance. Our individual and institutional clients are principled, proactive, and inspired to make a difference with their investments.
Now enjoying its third decade, Newground is a fiduciary, fee-only Registered Investment Advisor that is nationally known for its unique brand of sustainable impact investing which features shareholder engagement – through which corporations are called to embrace sustainability and to address the environmental, social, and justice issues that arise out of their operations.
To learn more, visit our website www.newground.net and, in particular, listen to the NPR/KUOW 94.9 feature on Newground’s engagement with McDonald’s.
Why We’re Hiring: We wish to increase our level of tailored service to individual clients, particularly in the arena of personalized financial planning, and our capacity to serve institutions. This will involve maintaining and strengthening internal processes and infrastructure, to allow scaling of client service and Newground’s ability to positively impact the world.
Who We’re Looking For: Someone with a progressive sensibility, who enjoys financial planning, following markets, and who wishes to find their passion for social and earth justice reflected in their daily work. We seek a service-oriented collaborator to work with clients, who would welcome having a meaningful influence on the strategic direction of the firm.
An ideal candidate is a CFP® with strong technology skills, who enjoys working on a variety of projects and seeing them through to completion, desires to learn and grow with the firm, and is able to focus on the finer details of a task while maintaining a big-picture perspective.
Regular duties may include but are not limited to:
1. Financial Planning (be a supportive partner to clients)
• Aid in client meetings and in financial planning assessments
• Design and execute full financial plans using MoneyGuidePro (or similar program)
• Participate in topic-specific, hourly planning with clients
• Create retirement income projections
• Review investment policy statements and performance reports prior to presentation
2. Client service (be a friendly and expert contact and advocate)
• Assist clients by phone, e-mail, and in-person
• Problem solve with custodians, sub-advisors, and other business relationships
• Establish new and maintain existing client files
• Verify invoices and billing
3. Communications (compliant with FINRA, WA DFI, DOL, and SEC)
• Report on SRI/ESG research and trends
• Regular outreach to clients and prospects
• Create prospect and client presentations; assist with community events
• Create and send newsletters, holiday card, and other communications
• Maintain social media presence
• Help further Newground’s brand recognition in the community
4. Shareholder engagement and resolution support (be on the cutting-edge of activism)
• Research projects involving issues and companies; collaborate with SRI allies
• Assist with filing shareholder proposals and related processes
• Help tell the shareholder engagement story to clients
• Regulatory Filings
• Excel & Access data management, extraction, and illustration projects
• Customer service attitude
• Ability to prioritize tasks
• Problem solving & conflict resolution
• Ability to work well within time constraints
• Trading experience a plus
• High attention to detail
• Computer programs: Outlook, Word (including mail merge), Excel (including advanced functions such as vLookup and charting), PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, CRM
• Sense of humor
• Professional attitude & appearance
• Self-motivated and ambitious but able to accept direction and work collaboratively
• Interest in Impact Investing and Shareholder Engagement
• Understands the repetitive nature of some client service work
Education & Licensing:
• Bachelor’s Degree required
• CFP® designation or Candidate for CFP® certification
• Series 7 and 66 a plus (though not required if already a CFP® certificate holder)
• AIF®, CFA®, and CIMA® designations a plus
• Minimum 3 years financial service experience
• Minimum 2 years client / customer service experience
Compensation: Salary dependent upon experience; generous benefits package; beautiful water and mountain view offices on the lower slope of Queen Anne hill (near the Space Needle).
To apply for the position, please:
1. Place “Financial Planner” at the start of your e-mail subject line.
2. Include a cover letter.
3. Address salary expectations in your cover letter.
4. Attach a PDF version of résumé to the e-mail and send to: [email protected]