Already a member? Sign in
Farmers Market Assistant Manager
The Mercer Island Farmers Market (MIFM) is a 501(c)(3) organization serving Mercer Island residents and surrounding communities since 2008. MIFM connects growers, consumers, and the Island business community to create a valuable, sustainable community asset. MIFM seeks a part-time Assistant Manager to staff Day of Market operations and support the Market in other activities during the Market season. This is an hourly contractor position at the average rate of 15 hours per week (June – November) with the potential for additional hours throughout the calendar year, to be scheduled as required. No benefits are provided.
The MIFM is located north of Mercerdale Park in downtown Mercer Island, and will operate each Sunday in 2017 from June 4 through October 8. There is also a special Harvest Market on the Sunday before Thanksgiving (November 19), and two Sundays off during the Market season (July 9 and August 6). This is the Market’s tenth year in operation and we look forward to a great 2017 season!
The Assistant Manager’s duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Market Day Support
• Be at the market from 7:30 am-4:30 pm on each Market Sunday.
• Set-up and break down market. Includes setting up tables, tents, and chairs; walking, standing, and lifting in outdoor environment.
• Conduct health inspections of Market vendor participants per King County Health Department regulation. Training will be provided.
• Staff Information Booth as needed.
• Ensure a safe, fun, environment. Implement Market regulations as needed.
• Help organize volunteers and their associated tasks.
Social Media and Website Support
• Update Market website, Facebook, and Instagram sites on a weekly basis during Market season.
• Communicate closely with Market Manager. Market manager will lead content creation.
• B.A. or B.S. degree desired. Will consider currently enrolled student in local university.
• Must be able to lift 25-pound sand bags that weigh down tent legs
• Must have own transportation to and from the Market location
• Excellent oral and written English communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Friendly, outgoing, and willing to interact with the public
• Problem-solver and can troubleshoot quickly
• Ability to multi-task and manage time well
• Enjoys working outside
• Passion for supporting local businesses, food, and agriculture
How to apply: Submit cover letter and resume to Market Manager, [email protected]. Position open until filed. Include your name and “Assistant Manager Application” in email subject line. Please include full contact information.